You are welcome to follow the instructions below to setup your observer account. Or, feel free to submit a ticket! We are happy to do the setup for you.
Your parent account in Maestro is the easiest place to see your child's current progress in the way of their current grade and course percentage completion in a snap shot. However, if you want to dive a bit deeper, a Canvas Observer Account is the way to go! An analogy we use often that helps folks understand the difference between Maestro (Student Information System) and Canvas (Learning Management System) is that Maestro is like the administration offices of a school where records are kept, grades are submitted, and more; while Canvas is like that of the physical classroom where learning takes place, assessments are submitted and course collaboration. So, having a Canvas Observer Account would allow you to observe your child directly in his/her classroom.
Some things you can do with your Canvas Observer Account:
- View detailed grade information and teacher feedback - you see what the student sees!
- Assignment due dates, points earned and total points for assessments
- Read Announcements
- Discussions your students are involved in
- Detailed Course Syllabus - course description, expectations, grading policies and assignment due dates all in one place
- Observers will create a Canvas account at https://vtvlc.instructure.com/login/canvas. This will be a separate login from Maestro, VTVLC's Student Information System.
- To observe a student, you must know the student's Canvas username and password.
- The student must be enrolled in the course before you can sign up to observe the student. This means that if you have only requested a course, but have not received an enrollment confirmation email, then the student's account may not yet be in Canvas for you to link to. If you receive an invalid username or password message during the signup process and have received an enrollment confirmation email, visit https://vtvlc.maestrosis.com to request that the username and password be resent. Please note, that enrollments are sent to Canvas hourly, so if we are still in the enrollment period, you may need to wait a little while until the student's account has been sent to Canvas.
- Observers may be able to view student information through the Canvas Parent app, though Canvas Parent accounts are separate from web accounts created in Canvas.
Click to Register
Click the account link at the top of the page.
Note: If you already have a Canvas account, and your are linked to another use, just log in with your credentials. Learn how to observe additional students in your account.
Enter Signup Details
Enter the following information:
- Enter your name in the name field.
- Enter your email in the email field.
- Enter your child's username in the child's username field. (This is the username generated by Maestro. These credentials were emailed to the student upon account creation.)
- Enter your child's password in the child's password field.
- Click the Start Participating button.
While your account is not entirely set up, you can begin participating in Canvas immediately by clicking the Get Started button. To finish registration for Canvas, log into your email account.
Complete Registration Process
Open the email from VTVLC LMS. Click the link provided to visit the provided URL and complete the registration process.
Here are some additional resources that may help with your Canvas account:
Checking your child's grades in Canvas